Saturday 12 September 2015

One Month Down, Eleven to Go

Its been exactly one month since I started my placement here in East Grinstead and it has definitely been an interesting start to the year.

For the first couple of weeks I spent the majority of the time in the documentation department because no one really told me where I should be going or what I should be doing. I learnt all about the documentation side of the company and feel I have a good grip on what I need to do here now, however after a month of doing the same thing I still feel like I am looked down on a little. I'm at the bottom of the food chain, just the little newbie who can't be given any responsibility and is always expected to make mistakes. I really just want to feel like I am contributing to the success of the company but up until now I don't think that I am.

The next couple of weeks I just decided that if I ever want to get to experience what my job was actually contracted as I need to just take initiative and do it myself because no one else was going to tell me to. So I created my own schedule, Mondays and Fridays in accounts, Tuesdays in marketing and Wednesdays and Thursdays in Docs. No one has told me off for it yet so I guess its acceptable. Everyday I learn a little something more, but its very difficult being in a position where no one seems to believe that you are actually here to partake in the same role as many of the current employees and not just do all the menial tasks that no one else can be bothered to do. The company is making quite a few structural changes lately in order to boost profitability. This may mean that my role within the company will change, I may be expected to deal with new areas and may even be positive in terms of new training will be necessary to multiple staff, which could help me to feel more connected and important within the company.

I am a person that needs direction and encouragement, and a work placement should provide that to its students, but I am yet to experience this. I need to reach a point in this job where I no longer need to ask for help every couple of minutes because I've not actually been trained properly, and where people may even come to me when they are stuck. I want to be able to understand all of the departments and their roles within this company, and how to go about day to day tasks in the most effective and efficient manor. I'd like to understand the importance of each department to the success and profitability of the company, and how I, as an individual, can add to this through my work ethic and commitment. I need to step out of my comfort zone and be confident enough to make a difference and impact to the company and the people working there, I want to be missed when the year is up and I have to leave, I want to be seen as an important and vital piece of the puzzle that makes up Tropical Sky. That's not too much to ask for right?

Wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment