Sunday 27 September 2015

Progress... Almost

Another couple of weeks have passed and I'm starting to get used to the routine of working life. Alarm at half seven, snooze three times, get up, shower, eat, make lunch, get dressed, go to work, come home, eat, sleep, repeat. Its not a glamorous life, but it is what needs to be done. Never have I ever been so grateful for the weekends.

Work has become much the same. The routine is starting to settle in and everyone (I hope at least) is getting used to having me around. I still feel as though I am not given the kind of responsibility I desire to have, so I can feel like a real contributing part of the company, but every day I am able to do a little more which can only be positive looking towards the future. Each month we are supposed to complete a short report analyzing our placement so I though I would give it a go now that I have some time to settle in;

The highlights of this month have probably been the small things, which help me to feel more a part of the company. When for example I have been included in conversations I normally would not have been, or when I was asked to take over the marketing responsibilities for a colleague who has gone away on holiday and when I was allowed to join a training session, to increase my knowledge of my department. All these things help me to be positive and believe in progress and growth for myself within my placement.

I have been taking a lot of notes since I started here to try and reduce the amount of questions I need to ask, which has been going well. In the past couple of months I have found that I am able to just get on with things without needing constant support from everyone else. There are still some things I don't know yet of course but I am working towards a point where people will come to me for queries instead of me just being "the help". I have although enhanced many skills of working in this industry. I understand the computer system very well now, and have improved my skills using excel and word and many online portals. I have learnt a lot about the use of social media in marketing and have improved my confidence and ability to throw myself into new situations.

In both the documentation and marketing departments, I feel as though I have a place, and what I do holds some kind of importance. In documentation I am trusted now to send docs and sort out all the important and needed files, while also been given the chance to chase and query certain things, without having my colleagues always double check I haven't done it wrong. And in marketing I have been asked to complete the DealRush for the company which gives me a sense of power and importance as I am solely responsible for it being done. I am also entrusted with important social entries onto the companies social media, which are seen by a large audience. But I still feel as though I'm in an in between place within accounts. Every Monday and Friday that I am with them, I am almost worried to go and ask what they need me to do, because sometimes they just say hmm, I don't really have anything for her. I haven't been taught or been trusted with anything more important within accounts, and merely check if invoices are paid or go through emails. I am unable to help with queries or actually deal with the invoices and I am sometimes upset by the fact that I almost feel as though I am hindering them by constantly needing them to find me jobs rather than helping them.

I am feeling very neutral about my placement at this point, which is an improvement from the beginning when I was very unhappy. Not only have I started to get used to the routine and actual work life but I have started to feel a little more settled in the town itself. Its a big step moving to a new place where you know absolutely no one. Its very different from going to uni, where everyone is in the same boat. Here I was truly alone. When I started and I was unhappy with the new town and the new job it was difficult to be positive and have motivation. However I feel I have grown even in the short two months since I've been here. I understand now it is necessary to make the most of the time I do have here, and as I start to be happier with my life in general, my placement is starting to seem much better and I can begin to understand why it is so important towards my future career in this industry. The main lesson that I've learnt is that I need to be more positive and believe in my own abilities, and I should never shy away from an opportunity to progress. So I am hoping in the next couple of months to be granted more responsibility by earning the trust and respect of my colleagues so I can truly make the most of this experience as a whole. I need to gain courage and make sure to push for more involvement with my supervisor so she can really see that I am committed and interested in doing the best that I can do for this company and to really make a difference, especially during this time of change within their structuring. 

In other news I have also begun becoming more independent in my 'private' life. I have started to explore the town on my own and have even experienced the "nightlife" East Grinstead has to offer. There is not a lot haha but it was still a good step in the right direction towards making the most of this year. I have probably done more travelling since moving here than I ever have done around England since living here the past couple of years. By moving away I have really realized how much I miss everyone and how much I need company in my life. I have traveled to Guildford a couple of times, been to Sittingbourne and plan on going to BournemouthLondon and Dover in the next couple of weekends. I have never made the most of my weekends, and am moving past the lazy uni lifestyle to a much more active and involved one, that free Santander railcard has never been more important than it is right now!

Until next time, or when I next get my act together enough to write another entry :P 

No comments:

Post a Comment