Thursday 15 October 2015

One day, One week, One month, One year

It's two month in and in a couple of weeks all the changes to the structure of the company will be put into play. I had a meeting with my supervisor today, in the hopes of figuring out where I actually fit in and what y role within the company is. I've been having quite a few concerns lately as I still feel, after two months, that I am not working at my full capacity. I want to feel involved and included and that just isn't happening right now. My colleagues still look at me as the young intern, but I don't want to be seen like that, I want to be seen as equal and as someone who can contribute to queries and help out with anything within the departments I am involved in.

For this reason I asked for a meeting with my supervisor. As nice as she is, I find it tough as she is very busy with accounts and doesn't seem to have a lot of time for me. I feel as a placement student I should have someone checking in and supervising me on a day to day basis. I believe they should be at least asking if things are okay, if I have settled, if I am getting a good amount of work and opportunities each week. And then perhaps having a meeting to check in once a month, to discuss my progress. This has not been a regular occurrence however and and I do at times feel a little forgotten and lost. When I finally got a reply to my message asking for a meeting, we finally decided on a time and met today. I was very stressed and worried as I didn't want to sound disrespectful or ungrateful but at the same time I wanted her to understand that I do not feel I am getting everything that I expected to be getting out of this placement. I wanted to explain that I am happy with the jobs I have been doing but feel I have time and am ready to start learning new things and developing my knowledge of the company and industry as a whole. I feel as though I am stuck in a bit of a rut, I do the same tasks everyday and don't see any chances for growth or advancement. I would love to be taught new things within each department and be given more responsibility. I think she thought that I was complaining about having to do the same tasks though and almost got a little defensive. I also explained how I was finding it difficult with all the changes happening around me and not being kept in the loop. I feel that everyone around me is being told where their new role will fit in and what will be expected of them and I have just been left out. The department that I am involved in are changing within the next couple of week and I still have not been told anything apart from the fact that my job is safe. Even in my meeting today she didn't explain anything to me, keeping it all very mysterious and I just don't understand why. All I want is to understand how my job will be changing so I can prepare for my new role. I also commented on how I felt I didn't receive much of an induction and have little guidance, but all the answers I received were not very helpful towards my peace of mind. As much as I feel its always beneficial to have any kind of meeting I feel it hasn't changed or influenced my standing much. At least she knows know that I am committed and truly interested in doing everything I can in this placement to get the most out of the experience and learn as much as I can from it!

On the plus side, I get quite a bit of chocolate or cake with people having so many birthdays so its not all bad :P And I did finally get myself a small set of drawers so I am almost at the level of everyone else, just need to get that phone working and Ill be a fully fledged member of the tropical sky team!

I've also joined the gym and started going after work which is helping my mood and making me feel more productive. I've spent a lot of weekends travelling and visiting friends around the UK as well so I am managing to keep my spirits high. This weekend I will be visiting Bournemouth to see the lovely Chloe. Last weekend I was in Sittingbourne visiting Amie and we had a lovely time doing touristy things in Canterbury.





Each week is another week towards the end goal, living for the weekends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment